The Canadian Food Inspection Agency issues Permits to Import in accordance with national policy guidelines under provision of the Plant Protection Act and Plant Protection Regulations. The CFIA is also responsible for plant protection import control and enforcement issues and provides interpretation and advice respecting the Plant Protection Act and Regulations.
Read the Plant and Plant Products Import Primer.
- Notice to Industry – Changes to plant and animal import permit application forms
- Notice to Industry – Changes to the permit to import plants form
- Notice to industry: Simplified plant import permit application process
- Application for Permit to Import Plants and Other Things under the Plant Protection Act (CFIA/ACIA 5256)
- D-97-04: Application, procedures, issuance and use of a permit to import under the Plant Protection Act
- Questions and Answers - Permit Application Process
- Information guide for importers of plant and related matter into Canada
- Validation of plant protection import permits prior to import
- Importing and handling invertebrates and micro-organisms
- Request for Comments: The Canada-United States Perimeter Approach to Plant Protection
- Biocontainment standards
- Lepidoptera for approved facilities (superseded by the list of Tropical Butterflies (lepidoptera), in Section 1 of Appendix 1 to D-12-02)
- Pests regulated by Canada
- Plant health requirements for the import into Canada of certain potentially injurious organisms (Appendix 1 to D-12-02)
- Prohibited material from outside the continental US
- Propagative plant material and other commodities that require an import permit if originating from the Continental United States
Plant protection policy directives – Imports
Plant protection policy directives that establish import requirements that apply to all plant commodities or do not fall under a commodity list.
- D-12-02: Import Requirements for Potentially Injurious Organisms (Other than Plants) to Prevent the Importation of Plant Pests in Canada
- D-08-04: Plant protection import requirements for plants and plant parts for planting
- D- 97-04: Application, procedures, issuance and use of a Permit to Import under the Plant Protection Act
- D- 96-20: Canadian Growing Media Program, Prior Approval Process and Import Requirements for Plants Rooted in Approved Media
- D- 96-13: Import Requirements for Plants with Novel Traits, including Transgenic Plants and their Viable Plant Parts
- D- 95-26: Phytosanitary requirements for soil and soil-related matter, and for items contaminated with soil and soil-related matter
- D- 94-31: Exhibitions - Plant Protection Import Policy and Procedures
Note: The importation of plants and plant products including other regulated commodities may also be subject to other Acts and Regulations administered and enforced by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency including other Federal departments such as Canada Border Services Agency, Environment Canada (e.g. endangered species) and Health Canada. Provincial governments may also have requirements in addition to those listed.
- Date modified: