This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by R.H. Johansen at the North Dakota State University from the cross (ND4731-1 x M5009-2) in Fargo, North Dakota (USA) in 1961.
- Year registered in Canada: 1973
- Registration number: 1489
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium to large, upright, compact; stems not pigmented; wings inconspicuous; nodes not swollen.
- Leaves: light green, closed, slightly pubescent; midribs not pigmented, slightly pubescent.
Terminal leaflets: large, lanceolate; base truncate, lobed, asymmetrical.
Primary leaflets: three to four pairs; large.
Secondary leaflets: few.
Tertiary leaflets: numerous.
- Flowers: few; small white corolla; orange anthers; light green buds.
- Tubers: round to oblong; smooth creamy white skin; medium deep eyes, intermediate in number; white flesh.
- Sprouts: base olive green shading to brownish purple at the tip; base weakly pubescent; tip strongly pubescent.
Medium yielding variety; high tuber set resulting in many uniform shaped tubers of medium sized. Performs well on well drained heavy soils; very intolerant to drought. Good field tolerance to potato flea beetle; good resistance to hollow heart, internal necrosis and vascular discoloration; slightly susceptible to growth cracks. Good storability; short dormancy period; medium-high specific gravity.
REMARKS: since tubers set high in hill, it is recommended that a large hill be formed early with a final hilling after tubers are set to avoid sunburn.
- Utilization: good for boiling, baking and french frying; excellent for chipping.
- Chief Market: chipping
Reaction to Diseases
Moderately resistant: common scab, silver scurf.
Susceptible: late blight, verticillium wilt, spindle tuber (PSTV), PVX, leaf roll.
Highly susceptible: early blight.
References: 1, 6.
Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org regarding potato variety descriptions.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: