This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
PDF (11 kb)
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred from the cross (Urgenta x Depesche) made by ZPC in Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, in 1951.
- Year registered in Canada: 1994
- Registration number: 3973
- Maturity: mid-season to late.
- Plants: low to medium height, semi-erect to spreading, vigorous; stems are thick, unbranched and bent at the nodes; nodes and internodes are red-purple; wings are large, straight and pigmented.
- Leaves: matt grey-green, open, moderately long, rigid; midribs and petioles wholly coloured red-purple except green on the undersides.
Primary leaflets: oval with long tips; midribs and petiolules pigmented.
Secondary leaflets: few and cordate.
- Flowers: numerous; large pink corolla with white tips and greenish white star; long reddish peduncles.
- Tubers: long to oval, medium to large; smooth red skin; medium-deep to shallow eyes; pale yellow flesh.
- Sprouts: cylindrical, very pubescent; base pink, strongly pigmented; apex slightly pigmented.
High yielding variety, uniform in grading; tubers can become irregular under heavy soil and high moisture conditions; good resistance to growth cracks, hollow heart, internal and external bruising, and drought; rather short dormancy period; good storability; medium specific gravity.
- Utilization: good for boiling; suitable for frying and chipping.
- Chief Markets: fresh market, seed export.
Reaction to Diseases
Immune: potato wart (race 1).
Resistant: skin spot.
Good resistance: PVY, tuber late blight, blackleg.
Moderately resistant: PVA, PVX, fusarium dry rot.
Moderately susceptible: leaf late blight, leaf roll.
Susceptible: common scab.
References: 1, 4, 7.
Send your comments to email@example.com regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: