Seed Sample Requirements
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Note: Quantity of seed has been determined based on the relative size and weight of seed. If the crop kind for which a PBR application is being filed is not included in the following list, either determine the quantity of seed based on a crop kind of similar seed size or contact the PBRO for further instruction.
|Agricultural Crops||Quantity of Seed|
|Bentgrass / Redtop / Tobacco||1 gram|
|Black Mustard / Bluegrass / Clover - Alsike, Hop or Yellow, Large, Small or Suckling, White, Ladino / Crested Dogtail / Fescue - Chewing's, Hard, Red, Creeping Red, Sheep's / Meadow Foxtail / Orchardgrass / Reed Canarygrass / Timothy||10 grams|
|Canola / Oilseed Rape (inbreds)||10 grams|
|Canola / Oilseed Rape (other than inbreds)||40 grams|
|Fescue - Meadow, Tall / Ryegrass / Wheatgrass / Wildrye||50 grams|
|Alfalfa / Bird's-foot Trefoil / Black Medick / Bromegrass / Clover - Crimson, Red, Strawberry, Subterranean, Sweet / Crownvetch / Kidneyvetch/ Millet / Mustard - White, Indian / Tall Oatgrass||75 grams|
|Canarygrass / Flax / Hemp / Sorghum||125 grams|
|Barley / Buckwheat / Emmer / Lentil / Oat / Rye / Safflower / Sainfoin / Spelt / Sunflower / Triticale / Wheat / Vetch||250 grams|
|Corn / Cowpea / Lupine / Pea / Soybean||500 grams|
|Bean - Field, Broad, Horse, Lima, Runner, Tick or Faba / Chickpea||1000 grams|
|Fruit, Vegetable and Herb Crops||Quantity of Seed|
|Celeriac / Celery / Chicory / Water Cress / Savory / Sorrel / Thyme / Husk Tomato||5 grams|
|Cornsalad / Garden Cress / Parsnip / Pepper / Sage||25 grams|
|Carrot / Celtuce / Dill / Endive / Lettuce / Parsley||50 grams|
|Artichoke / Asparagus / Broccoli / Brussel Sprouts / Cabbage / Cauliflower / Collards / Chives / Eggplant / Kale / Kohlrabi / Leek / Onion / Pak-choi / Pe-tsai / Spinach / Spinach Mustard / Turnip||75 grams|
|Beet / Mangel / Swiss Chard / Cantaloupe / Cucumber / Gerkin / Muskmelon / New Zealand Spinach / Okra / Radish / Rhubarb / Salsify||125 grams|
|Citron / Squash / Watermelon||250 grams|
|Pumpkin / Vegetable Marrow||500 grams|
|Crop Kind||Quantity of Seed|
|Seed Reproduced Ornamental Flowers||1000 seeds|
All reference samples submitted to the PBRO must meet the following requirements:
- At the time of submitting the sample, the applicant must sign a statement certifying that the reference sample is representative of the variety.
- The reference samples are legal samples which may be used in the event a holder's right is challenged. The submission of a non-representative sample for a variety could result in the loss of a right.
- All reference samples originating from outside Canada must be sent via the Canadian agent.
- The seed sample should be untreated. It is illegal to send treated seed in the mail and seed treatments may cause problems with certain types of laboratory analysis.
- Samples submitted should be fastened in a tamper-proof manner. The container should be one of the following types of material:
- Cotton or polyjute bags (most desirable);
- Manilla seed envelopes;
- Paper bags (double bagged);
- Plastic bags (least desirable).
- Sample bags shall contain an inner and an outer label. The labels should contain the following information:
- proposed denomination;
- crop kind;
- name of the applicant;
- signature of the applicant or agent;
- the date the sample was drawn.
- Date modified: