Food licences

Although the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) came into force on January 15, 2019, other requirements will be introduced in 2020 and 2021 based on food commodity, type of activity and business size. For more information, refer to the SFCR timelines.

You need a Safe Food for Canadians (SFC) licence to conduct certain food business activities. Explore the topics below to learn about food licensing and how it applies to your business.

Services and information

Who needs a licence

Find out if and when you need a licence using the interactive licensing tool.

Activities requiring a licence

Food business activities that require a licence.

Before applying for a licence

Key considerations that will prepare you to apply for a licence.

Apply for a licence

Apply for a licence today using MyCFIA.

Trading food

Requirements to trade food inter-provincially and internationally.

Licensing food businesses

Requirements to obtain and maintain a food licence.

Safe Food for Canadians Licence Registry

List of food businesses with an SFC licence and in good standing with the CFIA.

Tell us what you think about our resources (opens in new window)

Date modified: