Canada is recognized as having one of the strongest food safety systems in the world. The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) make our food system even safer by focusing on prevention and allowing for faster removal of unsafe food from the marketplace.
Under these regulations, as of January 15, 2019, new licensing, preventive control and traceability requirements apply to food businesses that import or prepare food for export or to be sent across provincial or territorial boundaries.
Food businesses are also subject to the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations.
Services and information
Consult the list of the most recent public advisories for high-risk food recalls. The CFIA issues public advisories for all food products where consumption could cause serious health consequences.
Everyone has a role to play in food safety. Find out how to keep yourself and your family safe by following safe food handling practices at home and staying informed.
Find out if your food business needs a licence, when and how to apply and other related information – including tips to avoid delays during the licence application process.
Use our interactive tools and other resources to find out how and when the new Safe Food for Canadians Regulations apply to your business and what steps you need to take.
Businesses that import or prepare food for export or to be sent across provincial or territorial boundaries must meet new requirements.
In addition to general requirements, other requirements apply to specific foods.
Importers require a licence under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations. Find out what other requirements apply to importers.
Businesses that prepare food for export or that require an export certificate need a licence. Find out what other requirements apply to exporters.
Learn about requirements for labelling, standards and grades.
Our Guidance Finder can help you narrow down your search for information on food regulations by using filters, keywords or a combination of both.
- My CFIA – apply for a Safe Food for Canadians (SFC) licence
- Interactive tools and timelines: Find out if and when the new requirements apply to your business
- Understanding the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations: A Handbook for Businesses
- Safe Food for Canadians Licence Registry
- Questions and answers: Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
- Documents incorporated by reference
- Read the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
- Fee changes under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
- Glossary of key terms related to the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
- Safe Food for Canadians Regulations: information for media
- Canadian Food Safety Information Network (CFSIN)
Contact the Agency
- Date modified: