Notice to Industry - Amendments to the Agriculture and Agri-Food Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations regarding pig traceability
Ottawa, August 24, 2016: New amendments to the Agriculture and Agri-Food Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations allow persons designated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to issue notices of violation to those who do not comply with mandatory federal pig identification and movement tracking requirements. These amendments mean that violations may not only be handled with a letter of non-compliance or prosecution, but also with notices of violation with or without monetary penalties.
In addition, the regulations have also been amended to stipulate that anyone receiving animals not bearing an approved tag is no longer subject to monetary penalties.
These amendments are published in Canada Gazette, Part II and came into force on August 2, 2016.
All pig and wild boar farmers, custodians of pigs (including operators of auction markets, transporters, and breeders) and pet owners are reminded to properly identify, keep records and report the movement of these animals under their care or control.
The CFIA is responsible for enforcing traceability requirements in Canada. Anyone who fails to meet these requirements could be subject to enforcement action. The CFIA will consider compliance history, the seriousness of a violation and factors that are outside the control of regulated parties when deciding which enforcement action to take.
For more information about traceability requirements, please contact:
- PigTrace Canada at 1-866-300-1825, or
- your provincial pork industry association:
- British Columbia Pork at 604-287-4647
- Alberta Pork at 780-474-8288
- SaskPork at 306-244-7752
- Manitoba Pork Council at 204-237-7447
- Ontario Pork at 519-767-4600
- Les Éleveurs de porcs du Québec (French only) at 450-679-0540
- New Brunswick Pork at 506-458-8051
- Pork Nova Scotia at 902-895-0581
- PEI Hog Commodity Marketing Board at 902-892-4201
For additional CFIA information, please visit the following links:
- CFIA Requirements for Livestock Producers
- CFIA Livestock and Identification Program
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations
- Date modified: