Government of Canada: Reducing the risk of African swine fever
The Government of Canada is taking a collaborative approach to prevent the entry of African swine fever (ASF) to Canada by:
- sharing information across government and industry
- supporting organizations in their work
- focussing on preventative action and a strong response, should ASF enter Canada
Refer to our frequently asked questions about ASF to inform yourself about this animal disease.
Everyone has a role to play in reducing the risk of animal diseases. Do your part by sharing this toolkit with your network. You'll find helpful videos, fact sheets, posters and images to help spread the word, not the animal disease.
African swine fever poses a significant risk to the Canadian pork industry and the Canadian economy.
Dr. Jaspinder Komal, Chief Veterinary Officer for Canada, talks about monitoring the spread of African swine fever in other countries and reducing the risks associated with animal diseases.
Find out about the Canadian Food Inspection Agency' proactive and collaborative approach to preventing African swine fever from being introduced to Canada.
Dr. Jaspinder Komal, Chief Veterinary Officer for Canada, gives examples of critical actions to help in preventing animal diseases from developing and spreading.
Statements and updates
- CVO Statement: Canada, Mexico and U.S. plan North American strategy for ASF prevention and preparedness
- CVO Statement: CFIA officially documents Canada's historical freedom from ASF
- CVO Statement: Government of Canada hosts joint exercises in Quebec and Western Provinces to support African swine fever mitigation and preparedness
- News Release: Canada and European Union mitigate potential trade impacts by allowing safe trade in disease-free zones in the event of an African swine fever outbreak
- CVO Statement: Canada presents joint action plan on African swine fever at G7 and OIE meetings
- CVO Statement: Canada, United States agree on application of zones to allow safe trade in the event of an African swine fever outbreak
- CVO Statement: International forum tackles prevention and control of African swine fever in the Americas
- News release: Canada hosts international forum on African swine
- CVO Statement: QUADS Chief Veterinary Officers meet to discuss opportunities to work together to mitigate risks to animal health
- News release: Government of Canada responding to the threat of African swine fever
- CVO Statement: Video series - Preventing African swine fever from entering Canada
- CVO Statement: Preventing African swine fever from entering Canada
- Date modified: