Annex 1 - Importation of commercially prepared pet food: facility questionnaire for risk assessment
PDF (549 kb)
- Provide the type(s) of processed pet food or treats that you wish to export to Canada.
- Provide the complete name and address of the processing facility where the pet food product for export to Canada is processed (please include the government-approval number of the facility).
- Provide a complete list of all animal origin material that is received, processed, stored and/or handled in the processing facility. Include the following:
- Processed animal proteins, rendered meals or rendered fats (e.g. meat meal, bone meal, blood meal, dried blood products, hydrolyzed proteins, poultry meal, feather meal, rendered fats)
- Offal, tankage, gluestock, glands, edible or inedible meat
- Eggs, milk, and any other animal-origin ingredients not listed above
- For each animal origin material that is received, processed, stored and/or handled in the processing facility, list the species and country of origin.
- Please provide appropriate flow charts showing the complete manufacturing process flow from receipt of raw material to storage of finished product. Identify the Critical Control Points (CCP) on the chart and their control parameters. Describe the processing, thermal treatment, and other steps that the pet food undergoes in the processing facility.
- Location of animal products used in the facility:
- Are ruminant and non-ruminant raw ingredients stored and handled separately?
- 2. If the answer to a) above is "no", how does the facility verify that no cross-contamination occurs between ruminant and non-ruminant raw ingredients? What are the methods of separation? (Provide a copy of your SOP).
- Is cleaning and disinfecting of grinders, mixers, and other equipment performed between batches of product containing ruminant and non-ruminant origin ingredients? If so, how is the equipment cleaned and disinfected? (Provide a copy of your SOP.)
- Packaging and storage:
- Are the products packaged and stored in a manner that prevents cross-contamination or commingling?
- Are all finished products packaged at the processing facility? If no, provide the name, address, and contact information for the facility where finished product is packaged.
- What is the name of the Central Competent Veterinary Authority (CCVA) that inspects and approves the production of your product and which has the authority to provide government certification for materials being exported to Canada?
Signature of Facility Official
Name of Facility Official
Title of Facility Official
Contact information (telephone and email):
I, the salaried veterinary inspector of (insert name of CCVA) do hereby certify that the questionnaire above is complete and accurate as submitted and that:
(Insert appropriate clause below)
the facility does not receive any ruminant material;
the facility receives ruminant material.
Signature of Veterinary Inspector
Official Seal of CCVA
Name of Veterinary Inspector
Title of Veterinary Inspector
Date of last annual inspection:
The section below should only be completed for facilities if they were inspected by a non-veterinary inspector. The questionnaire must be endorsed by a full-time, salaried veterinarian of the CCVA.
Signature of Inspector
Name of Inspector
Title of Inspector
Signature of full-time, salaried veterinarian of the CCVA
Title of full-time, salaried veterinarian of the CCVA
Name of full-time, salaried veterinarian of the CCVA
Official Seal of CCVA
Canada's Health of Animals Act and Regulations prohibits the feeding of certain bovine tissues (SRM or Specified Risk Materials) from bovine animals that originate from countries that the CFIA does not recognize to be of Negligible BSE Risk Status, to any animal.
Specified Risk Material (SRM): from bovine animals originating from countries not of Negligible BSE Risk Status includes the skull, brain, trigeminal ganglia, eyes, tonsils, spinal cord, and dorsal root ganglia of cattle aged 30 months or older, and the distal ileum of cattle of all ages.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: