Terrestrial Animal Products and By-products: Import Policy Framework
3 General legislation
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency Act (CFIA Act), section 11, empowers the CFIA to administer and enforce the Health of Animals Act. Subsection 14(2) empowers the CFIA to negotiate and enter into arrangements for the implementation of technical requirements for the international movement of products or other things regulated under an Act or provision that the CFIA enforces or administers.
The Health of Animals Act, sections 14-18 provide the CFIA the legislative authority to control the introduction or import of diseases into Canada.
Under the Health of Animals Regulations, the following sections are applicable to the import of animal products or by-products:
- Part II Importation, General, Designation, Section 7
- Part IV, Sections 40 and 41, Importation of Animal By-products, Animal Pathogens and other Things
- Part IV, Section 50, General
- Part IV, Section 52, Importation Permitted
(Note: This section allows the CFIA to make exceptions to the Animal Health requirements of Part IV if properly documented treatment has taken place, or in accordance with an import permit)
- Part XIII, Section 160 Permits and Licenses
- Date modified: