SWI 132.1.1 Seed Program
Specific Work Instruction
Official Seed Sampling
6.0 Planning Sampling Activities
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Any sampler obtaining samples for a complaint or for the issuance of an ISTA certificate or report of analysis from a CFIA laboratory must make every effort to respond to a request for sampling within a reasonable timeframe (72 hours).
The drawing of samples for moisture determination should be timed so that the seed is delivered to the laboratory by courier within 24 hours of sampling and so that it does not arrive at the laboratory on a holiday. In addition, oilseeds, such as flax, rapeseed, mustard, radish or soybeans must not be sampled for moisture testing in a timeframe that there is any chance that the sample will arrive at the laboratory for testing on a Friday as the test requires a 17-hour drying period versus a 2-hour drying period for other crop kinds.
6.1 Reference Information Needed by the Sampler
References needed by the sampler to obtain a representative sample are specified below. The sampler is responsible for verifying that the documents s/he is using are up-to-date.
- QSP 132.4 Official Seed Sampler Certification
- QSP 152.1 Implementation and Administration of the OECD Seed Schemes and EU Seed Directives
- Seeds Act
- Seeds Regulations
- OECD List of Varieties Eligible for Certification
- List of Varieties Which are Registered in Canada
- ISTA International Rules for Seed Testing Chapter 2
- Seed Science and Technology Section (SSTS)
- EU Directives:
General site to link to the consolidated versions (click on EU legislation)
- Operations Safety Manual
- OHS Representative
- Job Hazard Analysis
- Available locally at inspection office or laboratory
- CFIA - Accredited Laboratories
- Canadian Methods and Procedures for Testing Seed
- Date modified: