This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by John Clarke from the cross (Wasseon x Maris Piper) in Ballycastle (Northern Ireland) in 1972.
- Year registered in Canada: 1999
- Registration number: 4879
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium size; semi-erect; stems weakly pigmented; medium to strongly prominent wings, waved single; nodes not swollen, weakly pigmented.
- Leaves: dark green, long, slightly glossy, closed; midribs and petioles very weakly to weakly pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: medium to broadly ovate; apex acuminate; base cordate to lobed and asymmetrical; medium wavy margins.
Primary leaflets: six pairs; first pair often fused with terminal leaflet; medium ovate; apex acute; base cordate and strongly asymmetrical; medium wavy margins.
Secondary leaflets: moderately numerous, large, round.
- Flowers: rare to occasional; rather large red-violet corolla with white tips; buds very strongly pigmented, weakly to moderately persistent; short peduncles weakly pigmented; no berry production.
- Tubers: round to oval; slightly rough light yellow skin; medium deep eyes, intermediate in number, predominantly apical; white flesh.
- Sprouts: spherical; blue-violet; strongly pubescent; base strongly pigmented; tip closed; not pigmented.
Medium yielding variety; moderately resistant to internal and external bruising; good storability; medium specific gravity.
- Utilization: no after cooking blackening; poor for baking and french frying; good for boiling; fair for chipping.
- Chief Market: fresh market
Reaction to Diseases
Immune: potato wart (race 1).
Resistant: golden nematode (G. rostochiensis race 1).
Highly resistant: PVA, PVX, PVY.
Moderately resistant: foliage late blight, common scab; phoma rot.
Moderately susceptible: fusarium dry rot, blackleg, leaf roll.
Susceptible: tuber late blight.
References: 1, 2, 3, 4.
Send us your comments regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: