International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is involved with the development of regional standards for phytosanitary measures (RSPMs) and international standards for phytosanitary measures (ISPMs). These activities are carried out primarily through the International Standards Unit, which also verifies the Canadian phytosanitary policies are consistent with these standards and international obligations. In addition, the unit provides advice on regional and international standards to stakeholders and conducts annual consultations on draft international standards for phytosanitary measures (ISPMs).
Canada is a member of North American Plant Protection Organization (NAPPO), a trilateral Regional Plant Protection Organization as provided for in the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC). NAPPO's objectives include the coordination of efforts between Canada, the United States and Mexico to protect their plant resources from the entry, establishment and spread of regulated plant pests, while facilitating intra- and inter-regional trade.
Canada is a Contracting Party to the IPPC, an international treaty with the purpose of securing common and effective action to prevent the spread and introduction of pests of plants and plant products, and to promote appropriate measures for their control. The work of the IPPC is governed by the Commission on Phytosanitary Measures (CPM) which, among other things, adopts ISPMs. The IPPC Secretariat coordinates the activities of the Convention and is hosted by FAO.
Additional IPPC and NAPPO information can be found at:
- International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (adopted standards)
- International Plant Protection Convention (text of convention itself)
- IPPC contracting parties and links to their NPPO official contact points
- IPPC Commission on Phytosanitary Measures - reports of all sessions
- IPPC Dispute Settlement Procedure
- NAPPO's Phytosanitary Alert System
- NAPPO's Regional Standards for Phytosanitary Measures
- Regional Plant Protection Organizations
- Date modified: