Chapter 4 - Inspection Criteria for a Sugar Bush Establishment
4.1 Building Exterior
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
4.1.1 Outside Property and Building
The outside areas and building exteriors are designed built and maintained in such a way as to ensure a quality product that is hygienically prepared to avoid contamination.
- located away from environmental contaminants
Roads and surrounding areas
- free from debris, garbage and pest harborage areas
- in good condition and accessible to vehicles
- well drained
- maintained so as to minimize environmental risks
Design, construction and maintenance of the building
- all openings protected
- roof, walls and foundations prevent leaks
Collection system for sap
- pumping station and tubing that allow for good drainage, such as with an adequate slope
- ability to withstand repeated cleanings and sanitations
- covered or adequately protected sap collection reservoirs (collection tank)
- buckets with covers
- For cleaning and sanitation of the sap collection system, refer to tasks 4.7.4 Other Areas - Equipment and Utensils Cleanliness and 4.7.5 Sanitation Program.
- For sap collection buckets and sap collection reservoirs (collection tank) that contain lead, refer to task 4.5.1 Design, Construction and Installation.
Rating I - Examples
- N/A = Not Applicable
Rating II - Examples
- Exterior roofs and walls with openings that allow access to contaminants and pest.
- Debris, garbage, waste and large quantities of stagnant water on the surrounding grounds can house pest and risk that they contaminate the food.
Rating III - Examples
- Exterior roofs and walls in poor condition, but without openings that allow access to contaminants and pest.
- Small accumulation of debris, garbage, waste and stagnant water on the grounds surrounding the establishment.
- Maple sap pumping stations and tubing that do not provide good drainage, particularly due to an inadequate slope.
- Maple Products Regulations (MPR), subsection 3.2 (1)
- Date modified: