ARCHIVED - Changes to Import Notification Requirements for Products in the Non-Federally Registered Food Sector – Tenth Phase: Amendments to Annex 1
This page has been archived
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
October 15, 2012
To: All importers and brokers
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is continuing to implement changes to import notification requirements for commodities that fall under its jurisdiction.
This initiative should improve the availability of the information the CFIA uses to identify and track food products when food safety issues occur. It will not have an effect on the trade of safe food products.
The changes will be implemented in about 12 phases.
Effective October 29, 2012, phase 10 of this initiative will come into effect.
- This phase includes select commodities under Harmonized System (HS) Chapter 22 as identified in Annex 1.
- The HS is an international goods classification system used in Canada to classify imported and exported goods.
- The corresponding HS codes for these commodities will be added to the CFIA's HS Code List.
- As an importer or broker you will be expected to notify the CFIA of the importation of these commodities by using the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) for electronic release. If you fail to do this, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) may reject the release request.
- No additional requirements for admissibility will be put in place for these commodities at this time.
If you do not have an EDI profile, you must obtain one by completing the application and testing processes with:
- the CBSA's Accelerated Commercial Release Operations Support System (ACROSS) Phase III Release System, and
- then with the CFIA's Automated Import System (AIS): EDI Release System.
You need to:
- Contact the CBSA to submit your ACROSS EDI application to them.
- Contact the CFIA to submit a CFIA application.
- Once the applications have been approved, start the testing process with the CBSA's ACROSS Phase III Release System.
- Once this testing is completed, complete a series of tests with CFIA's AIS: EDI Release System.
The Automated Import System (AIS) Participant's Information Document provides more information on the EDI, including details on how to submit your application. It also contains information on becoming a CFIA EDI client.
To get a copy of this document, contact:
CFIA EDI Coordinator
If you have questions about this notice, contact the CFIA's Area import coordinator in your region. See below for contact information.
Director, Imported and Manufactured Food Division
Food Safety Strategies Directorate, Programs
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
West (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Territories)
4321 Still Creek Drive
Burnaby, BC V5C 6S7
1050 Courtneypark Drive East
Mississauga, ON L5T 2R4
2001 Robert-Bourassa Boulevard, Suite 671-X
Montreal, QC H3A 3N2
514-283-3815 extension 4311
Atlantic (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland)
1081 Main Street
P.O. Box 6088
Moncton, NB E1C 8R2
Note: For each commodity, the first 6 digits represent the HS code, while the remaining 6 digits represent the Other Government Department (OGD) extension code. The codes and/or commodities provided may be subject to change.
|HS Code||Commodity Description|
|22.01.10.7061.00||carbonated mineral water|
|22.01.10.7062.00||non-carbonated mineral water|
|22.01.10.7063.00||carbonated spring water|
|22.01.10.7064.00||other aerated waters|
|22.01.90.7065.00||non-carbonated spring water|
|22.01.90.7066.99||other waters not containing added sugar or other sweetening matter nor flavoured|
|22.02.10.7066.99||other waters containing added sugar or other sweetening matter or flavoured|
|22.02.10.7070.00||water, flavoured and/or coloured, carbonated|
|22.02.10.7071.00||water, flavoured and/or coloured, non-carbonated|
|22.02.10.7072.01||carbonated soft drinks|
|22.02.10.7072.02||non-carbonated soft drinks|
|22.02.90.2115.99||other fruit nectar|
|22.02.90.2116.02||aloe vera juice|
|22.02.90.7074.00||caffeinated energy drinks|
- Date modified: