Labelling Requirements for Processed Products
Size Grading of Vegetables
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
The following vegetables shall be graded by size, to indicate the size of the vegetable [31(g), 40, PPR]:
- Asparagus (tips or spears) - canned or frozen
- Beans (green or wax) - canned or frozen
- Cut carrots - (cut carrots - baby whole style, cut carrots - whole style, whole baby carrots, whole carrots) – frozen
- Lima beans - canned or frozen
- Peas - canned or frozen
- Potatoes (whole, white) - canned or frozen
- Brussels Sprouts - frozen: in this case, the size grading is optional
Declaration of Size Grading
The declaration of size grading of vegetables must be declared on the label as follows:
- The number designation or the word designation as prescribed in Schedule VI of the PPR;
- When the product contains two or more sizes, the description "ASSORTED SIZES" or "MIXED SIZES" must be used; or
- When the product is not graded by size, the label must state "UNGRADED AS TO SIZE" (does not apply to brussels sprouts) [40(1)c), PPR]
The words "whole carrot" and "cut carrots-whole style" have the same meaning as in Schedule I, Table II. [40(2), PPR]
Size grading declarations must be shown in English and French, in letters of at least 1.6 mm high based on the lower-case letter "o", on any label panel, except the bottom of the container [32, 36(1), 42(2), PPR].
- Date modified: