Food Products that Require a Label
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Apply means, in respect of a label, to attach to, imprint on, include in or cause to accompany in any other way a product [2(1), CPLA].
Consumer is a person who will be the user of the prepackaged product which is intended to be offered for sale at the retail level.
A container means a receptacle, package, wrapper or confining band in which a product is offered for sale but does not include package liners or shipping containers or any outer wrapping or box that is not customarily displayed to the consumer [2(2), CPLA].
Food includes any article manufactured, sold or represented for use as food or drink for human beings, chewing gum, and any ingredient that may be mixed with food for any purpose whatever [2, FDA]. Food items that meet the FDA definition of food are considered products in the CPLA;
- includes anything in which any food, drug, cosmetic or device is wholly or partly contained, placed or packed [section 2, FDA];
- means an inner or outer receptacle or covering used or to be used in connection with a food commodity and includes a wrapper or confining band [2, SFCA].
A product means any article that is or may be the subject of trade or commerce but does not include or any interest therein [2, CPLA].
- means any food that is contained in a package in the manner in which it is ordinarily sold to or used or purchased by a person [B.01.001, FDR];
- means any product that is packaged in a container in such a manner that is ordinarily sold to or used or purchased by a consumer without being re-packaged [Section 2(1), CPLA].
- includes offer for sale, expose for sale, have in possession for sale and distribute, whether or not the distribution is made for consideration [2, FDA];
- includes offer for sale, expose for sale and have in possession for sale, and display in a manner as to lead to a reasonable belief that the substance or product so displayed is intended for sale [2(1), CPLA].
- includes agree to sell, offer for sale, expose for sale or have in possession for sale — or distribute to one or more persons whether or not the distribution is made for consideration [2, SFCA]
For additional details, refer to Information on the definitions of "sell".
- Date modified: