Procedures for Faxing Documents to the National Import Service Centre (NISC)
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is recommending importers/brokers adhere to the following guidelines when submitting documentation to the CFIA's National Import Service Centre (NISC).
When faxing documentation to NISC, CFIA's Digital Document Store (DDS) system scans specific areas of the document for key pieces of information. The system scans for the CFIA logo, transaction number, and title of the document (i.e. CFIA "Request for Documentation Review" or CFIA "Import Service Centre Reject Notice"). If there are obstructions or other text and/or images overlying these documents, this can prevent the fax from being properly processed.
Adhering to the guidelines will help improve turnaround times by facilitating the NISC's ability to locate, confirm receipt and process submitted documentation.
When faxing the CFIA "Request for Documentation Review" form (CFIA/ACIA 5272) or CFIA "Import Service Centre Reject Notice" (CFIA/ACIA 5353) to NISC please ensure:
- A fax confirmation does not cover/obstruct the CFIA logo on the forms. Please see Example 1.
- There are no form quality issues. For example, no breakage in the lines on the form; and no distortion of the form. Please see Example 2.
- The title of the CFIA "Request for Documentation Review" form (CFIA/ACIA 5272) is clearly visible with no obstructions. Please see Example 3.
- Transaction number field is populated. Please see Example 3.
Example 1 – Examples of Documentation Issues
- The fax confirmation is covering (or obstructing) the CFIA logo.
Example 2 – Examples of Documentation Issues
- Form quality issues:
- Label/sticker used to indicate transaction number
- Under the 'Transaction No.' field, there is no 'partition frame' type box containing 14 individual cells
- Breakage in form lines and distortion of the form
- Form quality is poor, for example: unreadable text
Example 3 – Example of Successful Transactions
- No form quality issues:
- The fax confirmation is not covering (or obstructing) the CFIA logo
- The fax confirmation is not covering (or obstructing) the title of form (Request for Documentation Review)
- No breakage in form lines and no distortion of the form
- Date modified: