Certificate of Free Sale

A certificate of free sale can be issued for products eligible to be freely sold in Canada. This gives the importing country assurances that the product isn't a risk to consumer health.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) can issue these certificates only for food products produced in establishments registered by the CFIA under authorities provided by the Meat Inspection Act, Fish Inspection Act or the Canada Agricultural Products Act. This does not include food regulated solely under the Food and Drugs Act.

Know what export conditions apply to your food products and what documents you need. Contact the importing country's authority or embassy to find out.

The CFIA will issue the certificate, but the exporter assumes the commercial risk.

The product for which the certificate is being requested must be in Canada and available for inspection.

This certificate does not replace product or commodity specific certificates that are in accordance to existing Canadian acts and regulations or have been negotiated with foreign countries. It also does not replace or supersede additional import requirements that may be established by the importing country.

Exporters are requested to complete the Certificate of Free Sale (CFIA/ACIA 5786) and send to their contact at the local CFIA office for consideration.

Note: If you are applying for a certificate of free sale but are not the manufacturer of the food or commodity, your request must be accompanied by the manufacturer's written consent.

Date modified: