Flowchart - Follow-up procedures to a unsatisfactory result for Listeria monocytogenes on Food Contact Surfaces
The food contact surface is sampled (Operator should hold product of sampling day until results are received)
If the results are satisfactory for Listeria monocytogenes, the normal sampling schedule for FCS is followed.
If the results are unsatisfactory for Listeria monocytogenes, then the CFIA's actvities are:
- Inform operator as soon as possible
- Open IMS file and record all activities related to the finding
- Review finished product testing (taken simultaneously with FCS): If productFootnote 4 is found unsatisfactory for Listeria monocytogenes take actions according to Appendix 2.
- If product is satisfactory for Listeria monocytogenes, communicate this result to the manufacturer. The area program specialist is to be consulted and all available data for this case will be assessed to determine recommended actions on all possible affected product.
- Request an action plan (it should be received within 5 working days) and assess appropriateness
- Notify the plant in writing immediately if the action plan is not acceptable or if it is not received on time
- Sign the action plan if it is acceptable and keep it on file
And the operator's activities are:
- Determine appropriate action if the finished product is satisfactory for Listeria monocytogenes.
- Submit an action plan
- Initiate corrective actions as per action plan (intensive sanitation and cleaning, review processing conditions, etc.)
- Retest FCS as soon as possible within a maximum of 5 working days, at same sites as the previous test (analyze FCS individually). Continue FCS testing until 3 consecutive satisfactory resultsFootnote 5 for Listeria spp. (or Listeria monocytogenes). It is recommended that each lot of product be held and tested for Listeria monocytogenes.
- Hold product until results are known.
- Notify CFIA of all results
Once the activities listed above are completed:
- Inspector verifies industry's follow up actions by reviewing recordsFootnote 6
- Schedule another FCS and finished product sampling within 3 month period
- Complete the IMS file