Dairy Import Activities
Appendix 6 Example of an Attestation of Compliance to Cheese Compositional Standards
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Supplier's Company Letterhead
Subject: Compliance attestation of cheese to Canada's revised compositional standards
Dear Mr./Ms Importer,
In accordance with Canada's revised compositional standards for cheese which require:
- cheese, except for feta cheese, have a casein content that is derived from milk or from ultrafiltered milk, partly skimmed milk, ultrafiltered partly skimmed milk, skim milk, ultrafiltered skim milk or cream, rather than from other milk products, that is at least the following percentage of the total protein content of the cheese, namely,
- 63 per cent, in the case of Pizza Mozzarella cheese and Part Skim Pizza Mozzarella cheese,
- 83 per cent, in the case of Cheddar, Brick cheese, Canadian Style Brick cheese, Canadian Style Munster cheese, Colby cheese, Farmer's cheese, Jack cheese, Monterey (Monterey Jack) cheese, Mozzarella (Scamorza) cheese, Part Skim Mozzarella (Part Skim Scamorza) cheese, Part Skim Pizza cheese, Pizza cheese, Skim Milk cheese and any other variety of cheese not referred to in clause (A) or (C), and
- 95 per cent, in the case of any other variety of cheese named in the table section 28 of the Dairy Products Regulations,
or, in the case of cheese making a claim of "low in", "lower in", or "reduced in fat", "%X fat-free", "reduced in", or "lower in saturated fatty acids", or "light" in energy or fat under section B.01.513 of the Food and Drug Regulations,
- 78 per cent for the varieties listed in (B)
- 90 per cent for the varieties listed in (C)
- have a whey protein to casein ratio that does not exceed the whey protein to casein ratio of milk, or,
- in the case of cheddar cheese labelled as aged, be made solely with milk, ultrafiltered milk, partly skimmed milk, ultrafiltered partly skimmed milk, skim milk, ultrafiltered skim milk or cream or a combination of those things, and aged for at least nine months and the period for which it has been aged is specified on the principal display panel of the label of the product.
and using the compliance formula,
this letter attests to the fact that (Brand Name: XXXX named variety cheese, linked to e.g. specification sheet/reference to a formulation/ production dates, etc.) shipped/supplied to (name of importer) meets the above requirements, falling into the (state the %) casein requirement.
(Printed name and title of company official)
- Date modified: