Record of Decision - Overall Acceptable Plant Rating for Health and Safety Category 4 Tasks
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Question or Description of Problem
The Dairy Establishment Inspection Manual (DEIM) revised January 2010 stipulates the acceptable ratings for Health and Safety Categories 1, 2 and 3 tasks. There currently is no overall rating of acceptability assigned to Health and Safety Category 4 tasks.
During an in-depth establishment inspection, tasks are pre-assigned into a health and safety category based on the risk of the task. There are four health and safety categories as follows:
- Category 1 – These are tasks that are absolutely essential to ensure the health and safety of the end product.
- Category 2 – These are tasks that come into direct contact with the pasteurized product and therefore may affect safety.
- Category 3 – These are tasks that may contribute to finished product quality but not necessarily to the safety.
- Category 4 – Tasks such as building structures, conveying equipment and waste disposal are included in this category. They are evaluated because of their indirect effect on product quality and they indicate the general condition of the plant environment.
Section 5.5.1 of the DEIM establishes the overall rating that is acceptable or unacceptable following an in-depth inspection. Currently an unacceptable rating is given to a plant that receives an overall rating of less than 100% in Category 1 tasks, or less than 75% in Category 2 tasks or less than 60% in Category 3
For category 4 tasks an overall rating of < 50%:
- will be considered an unacceptable rating,
- will be included in the overall summary rating of the inspection
- will require a follow-up inspection, the timeframe for correction of which is dependant upon the due dates for the action, generally within 365 days depending on the severity of the condition.
This decision will be in effect April 1, 2012 and the next revision of the DEIM will be amended to reflect that < 50% will be considered an unacceptable overall rating for category 4 tasks on an in-depth establishment inspection.
Recommended by: Program Chief
Approved by: National Manager
- Date modified: