Archived - Meat Hygiene Manual of Procedures
This page has been archived
This page was archived due to the coming into force of the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations. Archived information is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes only. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. For current information visit Food.
This electronic version of the Meat Hygiene Manual of Procedures was prepared as a reference document for inspectors of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and all other stakeholders in the Canadian meat hygiene program. The reader should note that, for a complete source of detailed documentation, this manual should be consulted in conjunction with the appropriate legislation, manuals and other reference works.
The Manual contains information covering policies on the importation, exportation and interprovincial trade of meat products in addition to policies concerning the preparation of meat products in establishments licensed under the 1990 Meat Inspection Act and Regulations.
The Meat Hygiene Manual of Procedures is amended on a regular basis, and you will find changes to the Manual and the office consolidations of the 1990 Meat Inspection Act and Regulations in the MHD section (Meat Hygiene Directives). Each meat hygiene directive is identified by a number composed of the calendar year followed by a figure indicating the order in which it was issued.
- Meat Hygiene Directives
- Chapter 1 - Introduction to the Meat Programs
- Chapter 2 - Guidelines for the Applicant/Operator to the Registration of an Establishment and Licensing of an Operator
- Chapter 3 - Pre-requisite Programs
- Chapter 4 - Inspection Procedures, Dispositions, Monitoring and Controls
- Chapter 5 - Sampling and Testing Procedures
- Chapter 6 - Inedible Meat Products
- Chapter 7 - Packaging and Labelling
- Chapter 8 - Removed permanently
- Chapter 9 - Emergency Situations
- Chapter 10 - Imports
- Chapter 11 - Exports
- Chapter 12 - Guidance on animal welfare topics in the current Meat Programs MOP: Enforcement and authority of inspectors (by chapter)
- Chapter 13 - Federal-Provincial Programs (Domestic Inspection) - Reserved for future use
- Chapter 14 - Enforcement
- Chapter 15 - Canning
- Chapter 16 - Quality Control - Reserved for future use
- Chapter 17 - Ante and Post mortem Inspection Procedures, Dispositions, Monitoring and Controls - Red Meat Species, Ostriches, Rheas and Emus
- Chapter 18 - Compliance Verification System
- Chapter 19 - Poultry Inspection Programs
- Date modified: