Sanitary requirements for export of canned pet food containing animal products not of bovine origin to New Zealand (March 1, 2016)
1. Canned/retorted Pet food containing animal products that are NOT of bovine origin from any country may be given biosecurity clearance provided all of the following requirements are met:
- The product is shelf-stable
- The product is commercially prepared, packaged, and labelled as petfood
- The product is in its original sealed packaging on arrival
- For commercial consignments, the product is:
a. subject to inspection on arrival to verify that the goods are in metal cans, retort pouches or other equivalent receptacles and that they do not require refrigeration to maintain quality
b. accompanied by documentary evidence (a product description or manufacturer's declaration) that the product has been subject to a retort process.
2. In case the Pet food contains any honey, pollen or royal jelly in addition to the other animal product ingredients specified in this import health it must be accompanied by
(a) a manufacturer's declaration certifying that the product contains no more than 2% honey, pollen or royal jelly
(b) a permit to import.
- Date modified: