Notice to Industry – Phase one consultations: cost recovery initiative
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has extended the comment period for the phase one consultations on the cost recovery initiative. Submit comments and have your say by April 21, 2017.
January 26, 2017: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is dedicated to safeguarding food, animals and plants, which enhances the health and well-being of Canada's people, environment and economy.
Committed to continuous improvement to better serve Canadians, the CFIA is proposing to streamline and update its cost recovery program.
Hundreds of sector-specific CFIA fees are now in place, which creates complexity and leads to inconsistencies in how fees are calculated. In addition, most of the CFIA's fees have not changed since the organization was created almost twenty years ago, but the cost of delivering services has increased with inflation and other factors.
Our objectives are to support regulated parities in the food, plant, and animal sector with greater consistency in fees, increased efficiencies and improve predictability in service delivery, while aligning fees to better reflect the current costs of delivering services.
From January 26 to April 21, 2017, the CFIA is undertaking consultations with Canadian businesses and consumers. During the phase one consultations, the CFIA is seeking input on:
- a proposed streamlined list of services that allows fees to be charged consistently for similar CFIA services
- proposed service standards
- the appropriate level of cost sharing between regulated parties and taxpayers
- impacts of potential fee increases on businesses
Comments should be submitted by April 21, 2017 to:
Director – User Fees
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
1400 Merivale Road
or by email: CFIA_Cost-Recovery.ACIA_Recouvrementemail@example.com
The CFIA is not proposing any changes to fees at this time. It will consult on a proposal for new and updated fees as part of a second phase of the consultations.
- Phase one consultations: cost recovery initiative
- Frequently Asked Questions: cost recovery initiative
- Backgrounder: cost recovery initiative
- Cost Recovery Policy and Framework
- Service Standards and User Fees
- Date modified: