Phase one consultations: cost recovery initiative
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is dedicated to safeguarding food, animals and plants, which enhances the health and well-being of Canada's people, environment and economy.
Committed to continuous improvement to better serve Canadians, the CFIA is proposing to streamline and update its cost recovery program. Our objectives are to support regulated parties in the food, plant and animal sector with greater consistency in fees, increased efficiencies and improve predictability in service delivery while aligning fees to better reflect the current costs of delivering service.
Currently, hundreds of sector-specific CFIA fees are in place, which creates complexity and inconsistencies in how fees are calculated. In addition, most of the CFIA's fees have not changed since the organization was created almost 20 years ago, but the cost of delivering services has increased with inflation and other factors.
To advance the cost recovery initiative, the CFIA is undertaking a two-phased consultation.
Phase one: From January 26 to March 31, 2017, the CFIA is seeking your input on:
- a proposed list of services that allows fees to be charged consistently for similar CFIA services
- proposed service standards for CFIA services
- the appropriate level of cost sharing between regulated parties and taxpayers
- impacts of potential fee increases on businesses
Phase two: The CFIA will provide stakeholders with a summary of feedback received during phase one consultations and specific fee proposals for each service.
- Review what changes are being proposed: Cost Recovery Initiative: Consultation Document.
- Complete the Impact Assessment Questionnaire.
- Sign up for a webinar or for one of the face-to-face meetings taking place across the country.
Comments should be submitted by March 31, 2017 to:
Director – User Fees
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
1400 Merivale Road
or by email: CFIA_Cost-Recovery.ACIA_Recouvrementemail@example.com
- Frequently Asked Questions: cost recovery initiative
- Backgrounder: cost recovery initiative
- Cost Recovery Policy and Framework
- Service Standards and User Fees
- Notice to Industry - Phase one consultations: cost recovery initiative
- Date modified: